Is Boredom a State of Mind?

16cfa-boredom
oucampusrec.wordpress.com

With so many things I can do with my time, I have quite honestly never been bored. Even in waiting rooms, hospitals, airports. I’ve always been an active person, so when I got sick or better yet, progressively became very sick, activities began dropping off to the point that my main activity now is work.

These past few years I’ve spent much of my time not at work in bed. Still, I could never say I have been bored. In pain, nauseated, yes. When first diagnosed, I really struggled to read anything more than a few sentences due to the severe brain fog and lack of concentration (many are diagnosed with ADD before Lyme disease).

I occupied ( occupy!) myself with reading a lot of blogs and news stories. I’ve listened to music. I’ve watched mucho Netflix. I’ve used my happy memories to escape from the present symptoms I might be experiencing.

I’ve never understood this idea of “being bored.” Do you? What kinds of things do you like to do to keep yourself occupied or if like me, to keep your mind occupied?

A good evening to you, friends – B

14 thoughts on “Is Boredom a State of Mind?

1. hughcurtler June 17, 2016 / 1:32 am

I’ve never understood it, either. I suspect when a person says he or she is bored they are telling us something about themselves, not about our shared world! It’s a state of mind — or mindlessness.

Liked by 1 person

• ReadBetweentheLyme June 17, 2016 / 1:39 am

I like your addition of pointlessness. Have a good evening and thanks for stopping by, Hugh!

2. elementhealing June 17, 2016 / 2:05 am

I think that maybe people who get bored are the people that were not in creative places as children. Like never really hat the chance to play creatively or something?

Liked by 1 person

• ReadBetweentheLyme June 17, 2016 / 3:28 pm

That would make sense. I know when I was a child, my parents let me and my brothers run around outside all of the time. My 2 younger brothers assisted me in all of my imaginary scenarios – most likely unwillingly but….:)

Liked by 1 person

• elementhealing June 17, 2016 / 3:48 pm

Yes, when I was young the kids that got bored were the ones that thought watching tv was fun. The rest of us would go up the hill or to the lake and like you, create a fun adventure.

Liked by 1 person

3. ellenbest24 June 17, 2016 / 3:01 am

I think I have on rare occasions used rhe statement when feeling… lethargic, fedup, not quite myself. Maybe like the statement ‘I’m depressed’, it is often misused? Being bored should be describing a feeling of ‘I have nothing worthy to do’. Like you There is always many things that need to be done so maybe… We have not been truly bored.
    I am sad to read that you are unwell, but glad you are not bored. πŸ˜‡

Liked by 1 person

• ReadBetweentheLyme June 17, 2016 / 3:31 pm

Hi Ellen, I hadn’t thought of this but great point! Almost like saying I’m fine, bu meaning something else or something with more nuances the word just doesn’t convey. Thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate your input!

Liked by 1 person

4. willowdot21 June 17, 2016 / 5:48 am

I love to read , walk, blog, I do love people watching plus there is always plenty to do with family and about the house. I think boredom is a state of mind. I hope you are as well as you can be right now. πŸ˜‰ xx

Liked by 1 person

• ReadBetweentheLyme June 17, 2016 / 3:36 pm

Those are all wonderful activities. Maybe not being bored is a learned response? I just find the concept interesting, especially as a secondary teacher observing the effect of certain technology on young people.Thanks for coming by! Hope it is a great day for you as well. πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

• ReadBetweentheLyme June 17, 2016 / 3:37 pm

Hi there! Thank you for visiting and following the blog. Hope we can connect more in the weeks to come. Have a good one!

Liked by 1 person